Sunday, May 2, 2010

there she is...

Missus Owl has started roosting outside the nest on a branch opposite Mr. Spock. She thinks she's clever, hiding behind that wing. Since we've started hearing lots of owlet noise in the box, I'm betting she's spending time outside the box due to all the crying and pooping going on in there. Just kidding. That would be why I'd be out of the nest. I'm sure Missus Owl is just doing what her DNA tells her to, guarding the nest and giving the owlets room. She has to be tired. Every time I go out there her eyes are wide open and her stare follows me everywhere I go. When does she sleep? When she doesn't have me to stare down, the robins and blue jays are screaming at her and dive bombing her head.









Just like a man, Mr. Spock gets plenty of shut eye on the next branch without a care in the world.

I'm trying to guess how many are in there. I know there are at least 2, and maybe 3. I'm also trying to figure when they will fledge. April 18th was the 1st time I heard them, so by May 18th at the very latest, but likely a week or so before that. I'm gonna camp out evenings with my night vision monocular and wait. Wish I had a night vision camera and video camera. And a nest cam. If you'll excuse me, I need to go and buy a lottery ticket.

No comments: